Saturday 15 February 2014

My Locomotives: LNER B4


My recently built white metal McGowan kit of J.G. Robinson's 8F 4-6-0 "Immingham" for the Great Central Railway in 1906 which became Class B4 in LNER and British Railways days before being withdrawn from service in 1950.

The locomotive kit, purchased at Warley MR Exhibition in 2011 being of 1960's vintage is somewhat basic to today's standard, so brake gear has not been included. Also the chassis was a white metal cast block which I scrapped, building my own from nickel strip. She is powered on the rear axle with a Mashima motor driving a High Level High Flier 54:1gear box in a trailing position.

Hand built Chassis with Wheels and a High Level High Flyer Gearbox


On Going Construction




She is DCC equipped with sound being provided by a Zimo MX645R decoder which is located in the tender. I have used 2 x 2 pin micro plug/sockets to transfer the necessary electrical connections from the loco to the tender with guides to protect them from contact with the leading tender axle/wheels.

To improve her haulage capabilities I have also, as I do all my locomotives, increased her weight, which in this case is 15oz excluding tender.


In Service: but less Name Plates and Wheel lining




Since this 'In Service' photograph was taken, I have added her name plates. 
Her normal diagrams consist 'fish' and 'suburban' train workings, with the occasional secondary express passenger service.

Followers of my tweets may have seen a short video of this locomotive hauling a set of Gresley quinartic's last year, in which can now be viewed below, together with a more recent upload of a vid showing the locomotive hauling a Fish train at a more realistic speed.













Please enjoy, letting me have any comments/improvements etc, at your leisure.
Thank you
Graham DA Hefferman. (@yellowwellies)




No comments:

Post a Comment